Mess and clutter? Utter disorganization? What's a crafty comfort queen to do?


This blog is to be the chronicle of my attempts to learn home economics. Creative, DIY home and life management with an indie, crafty, green flair. Responsible and personally expressive "mistressing" of all that stuff that falls into the "life" category.

Why?
I'm crafting my own version of domesticity based on the indie craft and DIY movements and teachers like the writers of BUST, Pagan Kennedy, and Ariel Gore (not your grandma's housekeeping). Being house-proud has always been a struggle, but it's time to get it together. As of this moment, I embrace my domestic side, heavy on the irony of course (not your grandma's housekeeping)...and vow to change my ways and channel my inner Pagan Kennedy (the Martha for non-Marthas).

Feedback is welcome. Tips are appreciated. And if you have an uncontrollable desire to come and be my maid, the big pink door is open.

Thursday, April 8, 2010

How to reduce your impact: Lesson 1 - Move in with your best friend!

I am guilty of severe neglect on this blog recently, but I have a good excuse.  After eight years in the same city, I moved to North Carolina last week.  I grew up in eastern NC, but I'm now in the Triad, near Greensboro.  It's beautiful here, and I'm so glad to be back in the state.  I absolutely love North Carolina and can't believe I stayed away so long.  I'm kind of a hippie/country girl at heart, even though I love 80s electronica, Victorian tea sets, and doc martens.  Love to have a farm someday with sheep, Alpaca, or llamas to produce wool for sale on the Internet, and host spinning and weaving classes in my barn where I usually rehearse with my grrrl rock band.  Nonexistent as of yet, but a girl can dream. And it certainly wouldn't be unheard of in NC, where hipsters and good old boys and girls mix beautifully and the arts and culture are second only to the gorgeous landscapes.

Anyway, this is the first step - moving here.  My dear best friend and her husband and daughter have been willling to put me up for a month or so while I get my you know what together and get a job.  So my projects of late have been more job-application-oriented.  But I'm conserving paper, - yay me - and my friend is an excellent teacher of green living, especially since she started teaching a college course on global impact. 

My next few posts will be sharing some of the techniques I'm learning here about how to reduce your footprint in everyday life and not kill yourself doing it.  Simple but meaningful acts that can help the planet and help us all feel a little better about our own impact on it.

So stay tuned...tips are forthcoming, as well as updates on my job search and how all this quality time with my son is probably going to kill me.  With love, of course! 

No comments:

Post a Comment